Tuesday, January 30, 2018

We're half way there!



Well, today's the day! I have been here for a couple days shy of 5 months, and have yet to be in Quito for the exact same amount of time. I'm already half way through my ten month exchange! Instead of making this a post with updates and stories, I'm going to share something a little different with you. When I was feeling homesick back in November/December, someone (my amazing mom) suggested that I make a list of all the positive things about being here. I didn't get around to making until a bit later, but I decided I'd share with all of you some of the little things that I love about being here!

1. Speaking Spanish
          I knew I wanted to become more fluent in Spanish when I decided to come to Ecuador, but I had no idea how much I would enjoy practicing my Spanish!

2. The constant view
          Quito is a city high in the mountains, but it is surrounded by even higher mountains and volcanoes that make it a beautiful place to stay.

3. Fruterias
Related image
A fruteria
          Fruterias are little fruit shops that can be found just about anywhere, and because Ecuador has different regions with such a variety of growing conditions, they have every fruit and vegetable I've ever heard of, and so cheap! This is probably one of the things I'll miss the most when the time comes to return home.
4. Quito
          While I don't know if I would like to live in a city permanently, I sure do enjoy the fact that I can always find something to do when I'm feeling bored or homesick. There are parks, malls, public transportation, and everything else that a normal city has, only I've never lived in one before.

5. My Host Family
          Of course the best for last! If i didn't have such a great and caring host family, I know I would have struggled so much more with being here for so long. My host mom is the person with whom I talk about everything, I tell jokes with my host brother, and my host dad is the one I sit in silence with awkwardly, but I know he enjoys my presence.
Me and my host parents out for ice cream one night
Although my entire list consisted of more like 30 items, I think these 5 are some of my favorites and I will have plenty of time to share more. I hope you enjoyed and will continue reading my posts, thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading your post today Elisa. You are such a confidant young woman and you do know how to enjoy life! ( But please, the bungee jumping was TOO MUCh for me!) I am enjoying coming to your home on Monday nights for Bible Study with your mom. I am so proud of you and hearing how you enjoy your host family. You are a wise woman if you have learned the art of sitting by a man and not talking too! Ha ha, that made me laugh but hey, that is a skill too! I am sure he enjoys your company in the quietness. Glad you are feeling much better and have learned what foods to eat and which ones to be careful with. Half way is a milestone and thanks for sharing your post. Finding things to be thankful for is one of the most important skills you can ever use and my all time favorite one. Enjoy your second half and remember you are always loved and missed. Love, Sue G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love and miss everyone there as well, but am making the most of my time here. I'm glad you're enjoying my blog, and I'm sure you'll hear a lot more about it when I get home!

      Delete
  2. I’m so glad that you are having a wonderful time. I miss you Elisa

    ReplyDelete