Tuesday, February 20, 2018

VICTORY! ...In the small things

This is going to be another random post like the last one, but in a different way. I'm just going to talk about some of the small victories I've had on exchange, and surprisingly, a lot of which have come about recently!

Mabe & Me <3
One of the big things I want to mention is that for the last 3 weeks, I have been the only exchange student with my organization since the other girl was a semester student. Although I miss Jordan and all the fun things we did together, I love that I am completely submerged in speaking Spanish.
It has also helped me grow closer to my classmates, because when I want to go out and do something, I ask them, instead of my fellow American. Don't get me wrong, I think other exchange students are awesome and make great friends, but it's also nice to have an experience where there is nobody there to lean on but Ecuadorians, since I came to make relationships with Ecuadorians.

Some of the traditional food from the Amazon. Delicious!
Something else I want to share is that I think I've finally adjusted to the food! I think what made adjusting to the food so hard is that I didn't expect to have any problems with it, since I'm the exact opposite of a picky eater. But with exchange comes surprises of all kinds, and not being a huge fan of the food was one of my not-so-nice surprises. But, as time has passed, I've learned not to focus on the heavy salt, or lack of variety, but on the mouth watering soups, thirst-quenching juices with every meal, and the wonderful conversation. I've also learned where to find some foods from home and have loved cooking. So, I am more than happy to say that I've learned to love some their food, tolerate others, and when it's best to cook for myself.

So, although I'm sure I have more to share, I will do so in a later post. I hope you enjoyed and feel free to ask questions or let me know what aspect of my exchange you would like to hear about!

No comments:

Post a Comment