Monday, April 9, 2018

Semana Santa & life

Fanesca
So, As I mentioned in my last blog post, I was hoping to try some traditional foods of Semana Santa (Holy Week) here in Ecuador. Well, I am happy to say that I was able to try the traditional easter meal twice, and it was delicious! The traditional meal for Semana Santa is Fanesca and sweet figs with cheese. Fanesca is a soup made from all different types of grains that grow in the Andes of Ecuador, topped with boiled eggs, empanaditas, crunchy balls similar to croutons, fried bananas, and cheese. I tried two versions of the soup, one in a restaurant and one homemade, and as usual, the homemade one was so much better. Other than the food, Easter was just a normal Sunday that included church and lunch with the family. I hoped to dye Easter eggs, bu
Carolina Park
t didn't end up doing so.

This past week, I have been busy practicing a dance with part of my class for a school program, and still volunteering at the orphanage every Tuesday and Thursday. Although there aren't many exciting things going on in my life, I am more content than ever. I have grown closer to my classmates, and some of them have seen my crazy side and my very... special dance moves. It's been nice to come out of my shell with my class mates, because even though I've been myself around my family and church friends since the beginning, for some reason it took much longer for me to feel as comfortable in school.
Supercines//The movie theater

This past Saturday, I went to Carolina, which is a huge park in the center of Quito. I decided to walk around for a bit, and enjoyed watching people play football, basketball and volleyball, as well as a dog show, and people simply enjoying the sun. After a week of rain, it was nice to walk in the sun and enjoy some time alone with a delicious all-fruit smoothie. After almost an hour in the park, I had my monthly Xplorer activity; the movies! I was able to choose the movie, and of course I had to see Black Panther, as all my friends had seen it and couldn't stop talking about how good it was. It was a relaxing and enjoyable day... And a great movie!

Time keeps flying faster and faster, and I think it's because I am enjoying myself more and more! I hope you enjoyed reading some small updates, and I will continue to write in the 2 1/2 months that remain in my exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment