Friday, March 30, 2018

Zoo you like baking?

So, just a quick update about what I've been up to this past week. It hasn't been super exciting, but time continues to fly by and it's hard to keep up with everything! I just want to start this post by sharing how much my exchange changed from the first half of the year to the second. The first half of my exchange was great, but I wasn't putting in the effort to make friends, get involved and have the best exchange possible. Around December, my attitude changed, I immersed myself deeper into the culture, found things I enjoyed about Ecuador, and started inviting friends to go out, even for something as simple as lunch. Little did I know that in a couple of months, the rewards of my actions would really begin to show. I have built life-changing relationships, gained new opportunities and learned more about myself than I could have imagined. You are the main factor of your exchange; the relationships into which you put your time, the attitude you have about trying new things, and the courage to say yes when opportunities arrive!

Me, Nati, & My host Mom at the zoo!
Now, some of the things I've actually been doing recently. On Saturday, my host family took me to a town near Quito to the zoo. It was such a unique experience, as the animals in this particular zoo are native to Ecuador. We found animals like the oso de anteojos (spectacled bear), tortuga Galapagos (galapagos tortoise) and many more that you just wouldn't encounter in a zoo in the United States. I got to spend time with my host family, see animals that I had learned about in biology class here, and the only not so positive part, get eaten by mosquitoes. The day was wonderful, but because Guayllabamba is a bit lower elevation, it is much warmer and more humid, and nobody remembered bug spray. So I got exactly 79 bug bites by which I can remember the day a bit more. Even so, it was a great day that will always be a fun memory.

Me and the oso de anteojos
After the zoo, even though it was late, I decided to make something that I've wanted to bake since I arrived... My famous cinnamon rolls! Me and Nati (my host brother's wife) started the process at about 7, and finished up at 10. It was tiring, just like the rest of the day had been, but also extremely fun and delicious! Everyone enjoyed them. and I'm sure I'll be making them again one day soon.


As for the rest of the week, I got a cold, and have simply been resting every day after school (we don't have spring break) and today is a holiday for Semana Santa, which is the week of celebrating good friday and easter. There are some specific foods I am hoping to try this weekend and also hoping to dye some easter eggs! I hope you enjoyed this post and I will do my best to keep you all updated with my adventures in these last few months!

On the left are the cinnamon rolls, fresh out of the oven, and on the right is the same pan, but with the delicious cream cheese frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment